Friday, April 18, 2014

What Held Him There

Today is Good Friday and a friend posted this video to her facebook page.  I've read the Jesus Storybook Bible to Elijah several times but after watching it, I was struck by the words of the mockers (my paraphrase), "If you really are God, you can come down off the cross yourself."

Isn't this us?  Don't we find ourselves in the crowd mocking Jesus to come down off the cross?  We do this through psychology.  We really have everything we need inside ourselves so, Jesus, please come down from the cross, stop making a scene, let me think rationally and I will find what I need inside myself to do what needs to be done.  We do it through rebellion.  I choose my own path so, Jesus, get off the cross and stop telling what you think I need.  We do it through self-righteousness.  I am doing all the good things you tell me to do, my list is checked off, Jesus, thanks for your sacrifice but I've got it from here.  We do it through self-morality.  I determine what is right and wrong for me so, Jesus, just come on down from that cross because although I make mistakes, you don't have the right to call me a sinner.

We ask Jesus, either politely or antagonistically, to come on down off that cross...

But he didn't.

I love Lloyd-Jones' words (and again I am paraphrasing).  Jesus could have come down but he chose not to.  He was not held there by the nails in his hands and feet but by love for us.

Despite all the ways we mock him, our self-promoting and self-protecting thoughts, words and deeds, he stayed on the cross because he loves us.  The Judge became the judged seeing us exactly for who we really are and stayed in the place meant for me and you.  This is love!

"This is how we know what love is, Jesus Christ laid down his life for us."  1 John 3:16a

"Jesus said, 'Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.' and they divided up his clothes by casting lots."  Luke 23:34