Last week our first house officially became someone else's. This event causes much joy and relief for our family. It took us a while longer to sell our house than we planned or hoped. While finances were tighter for us than they had ever been, God provided and we were never in want or need. The final offer we took was higher than any other that we had received and we were able to get back essentially what we put in. Praise God! I am pretty sure that if I were an Israelite during the exodus from Egypt I never would have seen the promised land because I would have been the first to doubt God's provision. Whining about manna and water... Life experiences like this one remind me of that and point me back to my need for Him. Thankfully, I know I will see the promised land, like Doubting Thomas did, not because I pull myself together and try really hard to trust God but because He had made my salvation sure in Jesus. He is at work disciplining me through seasons like this one, teaching me to trust.
We went back to the "old house" and took a few last photographs inside. Brooks bought this house for us before we married and we found it after only one day of looking. This house is where we began our lives together. Although neither of them will remember, it is where we brought each of our boys home after they were born. It was a great house and a sweet reminder of God's goodness to us.
We told Elijah on the way home to call our "new house" just "our house" and that from now on it is home.