It is fun and entertaining to listen to the Oldest learn language. Lately, his pronouns and prefixes have been the most endearing.
Elijah is still working out how to name groups of people and form single pronouns. I don't blame him. I can almost hear some of you groaning as you read my terrible grammar. Here are a few of my favorites:
- This is "mines". (I couldn't stand it when my former students said this. We are working on nipping this one in the bud.)
- We are going by "we-selves".
- Brooks teases him by telling him that E's bellybutton belongs to him. Elijah answers, "No, Daddy. You have your owns!"
The kid is also working on processing new words and almost always adds the prefix "con-" to each of them. These new word combinations can be pretty funny and sometimes confusing too. I don't know why it is "con-". Here are a few examples:
- Conjamas (pajamas)
- Conations (Dalmations, as in the dog)
- Conssert (Dessert. I think if he can't pronounce it correctly I should get his share.)
- Con-chine (the Redbox machine at Bilo)
- Contatoes (tomatoes or potatoes)
Here is another that doesn't fit anywhere else:
- When trying to figure out someone's role or position- "What he dooes?"
- And my personal favorite "My ba-toe-men" (my bottom)
